Welcome to the second annual Cookie Week, hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen! We’ve teamed together with 10 other talented bloggers to bring you 5 fantastic days of cookie recipes to get you into the holiday spirits. Now is the time to break out the flour, butter, sugar and eggs. Bring your friends and family together for cookie exchanges or a giant baking party, we have got you covered!
When Kim and Susan talked about doing Cookie Week, I knew I was going to start the week with recipe that is easy to whip up during the week and delicious enough that it disappears in a a flash – these Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies do both. With Chocolate Hazelnut Spread whipped into submission, rolled in glittery sugar and topped with a dark chocolate kiss, these cookies are sassy and sweet and utterly divine! All week long we’re bringing you some of our favorite cookies that will have you prepped and ready for the holidays.
I saw Giada spotlight these cookies many moons ago and they have been in my “must try” folder for quite some time. They are crunchy with a bit of sweetness and a deep rich flavor – the added fun from the sparkling sugar is a crunchy bonus. Add some deep dark chocolate with a chocolate candy kiss and these cookies are a winner. Of course you can customize them – with or without the kiss, whisk in some finely chopped toasted hazelnuts, drizzle with melted dark chocolate – the possibilities are endless. One thing that is a constant – that divine chocolate hazelnut flavor – it’s beyond addictive!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
My secret weapon – the divine Vanilla Salt from Susan’s Girl In The Little Red Kitchen kickstarter – I used a 1/4 teaspoon of this along with 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt to give it a sweetly salty bite.
The beginnings of a great cookie – Brown Sugar, Butter and Nutella
Time to Bake
Now – I dare you to have just one
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
These rich and crisp chocolate hazelnut cookies are topped with a sweet dark chocolate kiss.
15 minPrep Time
11 minCook Time
26 minTotal Time
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of gold or your favorite color sparkling sugar or sprinkles (I went a little sprinkle happy)
- 1 9 ounce package of dark chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy - about 4 minutes or so. It will be a pale chocolate color.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula, stir in the flour mixture until it's combined.
- In a bowl, add the sparking sugar.
- Using a small cookie scoop, shape the dough into balls and swirl in the sparkling sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 - 9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the chocolate kiss in the center, bake for another 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.