For dinner tonight, make this delicious Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. Tender chicken is simmered with honey, garlic, pineapples and soy sauce and served over fluffy brown rice and the best part – the slow cooker does most of the work.
This post has been sponsored by Minute® Rice. My love for the brand and opinion are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Cooking In Stilettos possible.
Whenever I’m looking for a dinner that will wow the family, but is easy to make for a busy weekday, I often turn to my favorite Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. It was a recipe I learned early on in my culinary cooking journey, adapting it from a classic AllRecipes.com recipe for slow cooked Honey Garlic Chicken. It’s so simple to whip together early in the morning and when you come home, you are greeted with something that is nothing like you could get from takeout. This is a recipe that you can totally make your own – upping the heat level or, if you like it a bit more sweet – you can add a touch more honey. The pineapple adds another layer of savory sweetness and compliments the tender chicken.
I have made it a myriad of ways over the years and whether you cook if for 4 hours or 8 hours, the chicken is a deep rich molasses hue with the honey ginger soy sauce permeating every delicious bite. Using the chicken thighs makes this recipe totally economical and with a few pantry ingredients, you have a fabulous meal.
I always serve this Honey Garlic Chicken with rice and I love using Minute® Rice which I always keep in the pantry. Minute Brown Rice is one of my favorites because it comes together in an instant, is wholesome and has a nutty flavor. I’ve used it in a few dishes here on Cooking In Stilettos including my favorite Aloha Fried Rice and my Arroz Con Pollo. To add even more flavor to the rice, I simmer the rice in chicken or vegetable stock and and find that Minute Rice is the perfect accent to many of my dishes. Minute Rice is not only gluten free but is also GMO free. Added bonus – Minute Brown Rice is ready in just about 10 minutes – a quarter of the time it takes to cook the standard brown rice. Another favorite of mine is the Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley with a blend of of four gluten free grains – long grain brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice, and quinoa. With today’s busy schedules, you can see why Minute Rice can be a pantry’s bff.
When you are looking for a delicious dinner recipe – look no further. This Honey Garlic Chicken with Minute Brown Rice is dinner made easy!
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Adding honey to the soy pineapple mixture
Let’s make some easy Minute Brown Rice shall we?
Viola – a tried and true!
Aly M. Cleary | Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Dinner is made easy with this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken served over nutty Minute® Brown Rice. The slow cooker does most of the work and you reap all of the compliments with delicious family friendly recipe!
15 minPrep Time
7 hrCook Time
7 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (or Mojo de Ajo for some extra garlic flavor)
- 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 3/4 cup of lower sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained with juice reserved
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or more - depending on your favorite heat factor)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 cups of Minute® Rice Brown Rice
- 1 3/4 cups of chicken stock.
- Sliced Green Onions
- Season your chicken thighs with salt & pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet (or in slow cooker insert if able) over medium heat and brown the chicken thighs until they are evenly browned on all sides.
- Place the browned thighs in slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 7 - 8 hours on low.
- Stir in the reserved pineapple chunks just before serving.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Remove chicken thighs from the slow cooker.
- Blend the cornstarch mixture into the remaining sauce in the slow cooker to thicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, you will want to make the brown rice.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- Add the Minute Brown Rice and cook according to the package directions. I use the 4 servings instructions but you can adapt the amounts for what your family needs.
- Serve the chicken and pineapple over the fluffy brown rice with the sauce drizzled over the chicken. Garnish with sliced green onions and enjoy!