If we lived closer, you know I’d host one heck of a soiree, complete with a signature cocktail or two, some divine treats and a toast to two ladies who inspire me not only to be a better blogger but also a better person. Their wit, humor, kindness and kickin’ recipes make them a must read daily and I know, through thick or thin, (or even a chocolate shortage), these gals will be there!
So – in thinking of all the laughter, the advice, and the giggles galore, I thought I’d bring a bit of comfort to the soiree with one of my faves – Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese Sticks that are gooey, cheesy and have a bit of spice with a hint of Aleppo pepper. I whipped up some easy homemade marinara sauce to go with but you can use your fave sauce. I guarantee there will be none left on the plate – your guests will have a bit of nostalgia as they dunk these gooey cheesy strips into the rich tomato sauce.
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
The first layer – some mozzarella and a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper (if you so wish)
Add some sharp cheddar
Time to make the Parmesan crust – look at that bubbling molten cheesy pool
And all crusty and toasty warm
Serve with your favorite marinara sauce
Now – try to have just one – I dare you!
Aly M. Cleary
Ooey gooey grilled cheese sticks with a toasty Parmesan crust - the ultimate in comfort!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper (optional)
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce for serving
- Start to build the grilled cheese sandwiches by layering two slices of mozzarella on a slice of sourdough.
- Sprinkle with a bit of Aleppo pepper (if desired) and follow with two slices of sharp cheddar.
- Cover with a slice of sourdough and build 3 more sandwiches in the same manner.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with a bit of olive oil.
- Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan around the size of one slice of bread in one area. Repeat on the opposite side of the pan.
- Let the Parmesan melt and get toasty brown - about 2 minutes or so.
- Lay the grilled cheese on top of the Parmesan and press in so the Parmesan adheres to the sourdough. Repeat with the other sandwich.
- As the cheese melts, drizzle the other size with a bit of olive oil and press additional Parmesan onto the other side.
- Flip the sandwich and let the other side toast. Cover with a bit of a glass cover so the cheese melts.
- Remove to a cutting board and let cool for a bit while you prepare the remaining sandwiches.
- Cut into strips and serve with marinara sauce.