A delicious and comforting Slow Cooker Beef Stew, perfect for those cold chilly months, that comes together in a flash and the slow cooker does all of the work!
This recipe originally appeared on Cooking In Stilettos in January of 2010. The recipe has been updated with new photos and any recipe changes that I have incorporated over the years. This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and use in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
One thing about being up north means more excuses to use my favorite All Clad Deluxe Slow Cooker. I do have to say that I love this slow cooker – I can brown everything in ONE POT and clean up is a breeze. Not to mention it looks phenomenal on my counter-top if I do say so myself. It’s truly one pot cooking as you can essentially set it and forget it and when you come home from the 9to9, the house smells phenomenal!
I digress, I know. Beef Stew just calls for chilly weather and I have to say these past few winters have been quite the chill fest compared to what I was used to in my Orlando days. It has me breaking out the layers and cozy slippers, especially on snowy days and no matter how hard I try, there’s always a slight draft somewhere. However, when chill is in the forecast, I tend to head to the grocery store to look for my favorite slow cooker meals.
Growing up, I remember there was always beef stew simmering during the winter but I never had my own tried and true version – until now. I found a recipe for “Slow Cooker Beef Stew” but I have to warn you, I changed it up quite a bit. The end result was a beef stew that has a bit of bite and warms you to the core on a cold winter’s day. Serve with some fluffy biscuits or homemade cornbread to sop up every last delicious drop and you have a winner of a dinner!
This easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew is the perfect bowl of comfort that will have your family asking for it to be on the menu all winter!
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Perfectly seared beef – remember, browning the beef adds so much flavor
Ready to simmer for its long winter’s nap.
Pure Winter Comfort Right Here
Shall I get you a bowl?
The Easiest Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This warm and comforting Slow Cooker Beef Stew is perfect for taking off the chill on a cold winter’s evening and couldn’t be easier to make!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 hours
- Total Time: 12 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 - 10
- Category: Soups, Chilis and Stews
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat cut into 1” cubes
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large russet potatoes, diced
- 4 peeled carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of whole button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of low-sodium beef broth
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Dredge the beef in the flour mixture and set aside. Make sure to reserve the remaining flour mixture.
- In the insert of a stovetop safe slow cooker or a large skillet, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and brown the spice flour-crusted beef in batches. Set aside.
- Add the minced garlic, diced onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, and quartered mushrooms. Toss the veggies with the reserved flour mixture.
- Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth along with the browned beef and any remaining juices.
- Nestle in the bay leaf, fresh rosemary, ground allspice and the red pepper flakes if using.
- Cover and set the mixture to cook on “LOW” for 10-12 hours or on high for 4 – 6 hours.
- Skim any fat off the top before serving.
My favorite finds for this recipe:
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates