Remember that Short Rib Chili I yammered on about earlier this week – well, the one side that you must try – at least once in your lifetime – is this Creamy Cheesy Corn Polenta. In my house, short ribs are often served with polenta. It’s quick, easy and with the right additions, is so much better than potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I adore a good mashed potato (I am Irish after all) but polenta just has that chic unexpected vibe.
When I was looking at Giada’s short rib and polenta recipe from Food Network, I realized that I might have to make a few changes. Not only did I only have the quick cooking polenta in the pantry (which I often get at one of my favorite spots at Philly’s Italian Market – Claudios), but I wanted to add flavors of asiago and ricotta to it. Granted it was a bit rich but coupled with the sweet corn puree and additional texture from the fresh corn – love! When you want to deviate from the typical sides, try this one for a bit of a change.
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup quick cooking polenta
- 2 ears of corn, shucked.
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup of asiago cheese, shredded
- Additional kosher salt to taste
- Cut the corn kernels off of the corn and set aside.
- Go over the corn cobs with the back of the knife, scraping the "milk" into the bowl with the corn.
- Reserve half of the corn kernels and set those aside.
- Take the remaining half of the corn kernels and add them to a food processor.
- Puree them until they are a thick puree. Set the corn puree aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the broth, butter and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta. Continue to whisk until the polenta thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stirring often until the polenta is thick and tender.
- Add the ricotta cheese and corn puree to the polenta and stir to combine.
- Add the asiago cheese to the polenta mixture and stir.
- Season to taste with a bit of salt and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
Gather the ingredients
A tale of two corn styles
Time to add the cheese
The end result – Creamy Cheesy Corn Polenta
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates