One of the things that is perfect for summer cookouts is a pasta salad. However, what I would like is one that is a tad bit healthier, heavier on the veggies and lighter on the sauce.
When Hodgson Mill put out a call for our best pasta salads, I thought it was time that I sassed up the typical tuna pasta salad with my new obsession – roasted veggies. When Hodgson Mill sent some of their new Whole Wheat pasta for me to play with, I immediately gravitated to the Whole Wheat Bowtie Pasta. The pasta has a fresh nutty flavor and holds the vinaigrette well. Simple is best when it comes to the vinaigrette and I used one of my favorite unfiltered extra virgin olive oils with a bit of lemon juice and lemon zest and a dash of salt and pepper. Tossed with the roasted veggies, crumbled ricotta salata and wild tuna and you have a dish that will have family and friends asking for seconds.
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
Which pasta to choose
A tale of two peppers – roasted and raw
Nice and roasty
Lemon vinaigrette perfection
- 1 box of your favorite Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, peeled and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into small wedges
- 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cans of solid white tuna in water, drained
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add the cherry tomatoes, zucchini, rosemary and red onion and toss with the olive oil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and toss everything together.
- Pour the vegetables onto a baking sheet lined with foil and roast for about 40 minutes, until the tomatoes start to pop.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Add the cooled pasta
- Add the chopped red peppers, roasted red peppers and tuna and toss everything together.
- To a small bowl, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper. Whisk everything together and pour over the pasta, tuna and vegetables.
- Add the ricotta salata and chopped parsley and toss everything together fully.
- Serve and enjoy!