– People who enjoy brunch probably have their favorite place to do just that. But, in New York, the mash-up of lunch and breakfast is a religion as well as a tradition. Brunch has first been introduced in 1895 as a light alternative to massive post-church lunchtimes. So, what is actually brunch? Is it breakfast? Is it lunch? Well, it is both and so much more. What makes brunch good? Here is a list of reasons why many people love brunches:
- It is okay to eat breakfast food past noon – brunch is perfect for those that love waking up a little bit late or who love sleeping in during the weekends. If you miss out on breakfast often because you love sleeping in, you will not have to anymore. With brunch, you can eat all your favorite breakfast food without feeling guilty that you are eating it at noon. It would not be brunch without some food such as pancakes, waffles, eggs, scone, and many more.
- It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory – if you enjoy brunch, you will not have to choose between sweet and savory options, you can easily have both! And yes, a sweet brunch is the option as well. Pancakes, waffles, cookies, ice cream, anything goes when it comes to brunch. Having brunch gives you the perfect excuse to indulge in almost any type of food, as well as making a combination of sweet and savory flavors.
- It sometimes involves social gatherings – brunch is a great way to catch up with friends or your family. With the usual, busy daily life, spending some time with your friends is actually necessary in order to unwind and relax. And, there is no better way to do this than spending some times with friends over healthy brunch food.
- Bacon! – This list of reasons would not be complete without mentioning bacon. It is possibly the most delicious and admired food. Bacon still continues to be one of the most popular ingredients to work with, used to combine different flavors, so it is no wonder that bacon has a strong presence in brunch food. It can be eaten with eggs, on French toast, topped by waffles and pancakes, or simply eaten on its own. Whatever way you enjoy eating bacon, it is for sure one of the various reasons that make brunch so perfect.
– Brunch is a big deal in New York City and on the weekends, restaurants in the Big Apple contain endless dining options. It is often not easy to figure out which ones actually take care of your food and experience. Hence, you might be wondering what are some of the top brunch spots in the Big Apple? Here is a list of places that you can enjoy brunch by yourself or with family and friends:
- Red Rooster – the brunch menu at this restaurant has cornbread with honey butter, fried chicken and waffles, and biscuits with gravy. A big bonus to the Red Rooster is that they always organize different events, such as live gigs from local musicians or an exhibition of hats from local fashion designers.
- Jacob’s Pickles – the spacious Upper West Side serves way more than their name says. The brunch menu has various types of biscuit sandwiches, egg dishes, salads, plus poutine as well as mac & cheese.
- The Sparrow Tavern – in order to have a relaxing morning (or afternoon) meal, you can go to Astoria’s Sparrow Tavern. All the usual brunch meals are there, from egg sandwiches to pancakes.
- Boulud Sud – this Mediterranean inspired restaurant has a heart-toned dining room and a menu that has something for everyone that visits. Think about ordering the shakshuka, chicken tagine, or the perfect lamb burger. Two and three-course menus are available, as well as the a la carte menu.
– If you enjoy brunching, or if you just want to spend some time with your family or friends, going to these places will give you the atmosphere and food you need to satisfy all your needs.