There is nothing I adore more than the meld of sweet and savory. If I see salted caramel, there’s a strong likelihood that I’ll be trying it. When Crown Maple presented a few bloggers with a Tap to Table Recipe Challenge to meld sweet and savory with Crown Maple being at the forefront, I knew I had to take it on.
I originally thought I’d go with a crostata but we all know my irrational culinary fear of all things pie crust. I also love melding cheddar cheese with apples – there’s something about the sharpness of the cheddar melted onto the spiced sweet apples that is heaven. Having grown up in New England, it tends to be a bit more common than people think. Also one thing that can be found everywhere in New England – pure maple syrup. Whenever friends and family come down from there to visit, I always ask for them to bring me a bottle of maple syrup or some maple candy. However, I need to confess – I don’t bake often with maple syrup and, after this recipe, I need to rectify it. There’s a pure sweetness that the maple brings to this apple crisp and the maple sugar and maple syrup melted into a rich gooey salted caramel is the perfect drizzle over a divine dessert.
Next time you are wanting a bit of savory and sweet and want your guests to beg for the recipe, make this Maple Apple Cheddar Crisp with Salted Maple Caramel Sauce – they will love you forever!
Happy Holidays everyone!
On to the recipe:
Gather the ingredients
The key ingredient – All Things Crown Maple
Adding the maple to the apples
Love this cheesy crisp topping
Look at the apples bubbling
Time to make the caramel
Now – don’t you want a bite?
- 5 – 6 apples, diced (I used Braeburn apples – divine)
- ⅔ of pure maple syrup (I used medium amber)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of flour
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ⅓ cup of butter, softened
- ½ cup of finely shredded cheddar cheese (I like it sharper than mild)
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of maple sugar
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of pure maple syrup (I used medium amber)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the diced apples, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and the kosher salt.
- Pour into a lightly greased pie plate.
- In another bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until it turns crumbly.
- Mix in the shredded cheddar cheese and pour over the apple filling.
- Bake for about 35 – 45 minutes, until the crust is browned, the cheese is a touch melty and the apples are bubbling.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the maple sugar and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes or so.
- Carefully whisk in the heavy cream and let boil for about 3 minutes, until it is thick and covers the back of a spoon.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the salt and maple syrup.
- Serve with the apple crisp and enjoy!
FTC Disclaimer: I was provided the Crown Maple Syrup and Sugar as part of the challenge. I was not compensated for this post. As always – my opinions are 100% my own.
Share the love
Get free updates