Welcome to Day #5 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Whether you are a Broncos fan or a Seahawks fan , we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
When I lived in Florida, there was a chain restaurant that had these amazing stuffed mushrooms – they were creamy, cheesy and just the best mushroom ever, served with this horseradish dipping sauce. However they were fried and while fried can be delicious, I wanted to whip up a version that was a homage to them with some of the same flavors but made a bit lighter.
These Ultimate Stuffed ‘Shrooms are baked – not fried – and are spicy with a touch of sweetness. The dipping sauce has the same horseradish bite but finishes with a mellow flavor.
Next time you want to make a stuffed mushroom, you will want to whip these up. And while you might be tempted to fry – resist. These are much better baked.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Chop chop chop | Dice dice dice
Making the filling
Before and after the oven sauna
Now – try to eat just one – I dare ya!
- 12 whole fresh button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 8 ounce package of Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of panko bread crumbs, divided
- Pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup of light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of horseradish
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar (I used champagne)
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- Break off the stems and set aside.
- Finely chop the stems, discarding the tough end.
- Preheat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Over medium heat, sauté the mushroom stems and minced shallot.
- Sauté until slightly browned and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the Neufchatel cheese, Parmesan cheese, thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon of panko bread crumbs and salt and pepper.
- Mix in the sautéed shallots and mushroom stems.
- Carefully fill the mushroom caps with the cream cheese mixture, taking care to mound it up a little.
- Place on a small baking sheet lined with a silpat or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with a bit of the remaining panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or so until the mushrooms are piping hot and start to release their liquid.
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, horseradish, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, sugar and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well and serve with the hot mushrooms.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week blogs for more delicious ideas:
- Lasagna Dip by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Spinach Squares by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Ultimate Stuffed ‘Shrooms by Cooking in Stilettos
- Feta Chicken Wontons by Makobi Scribe
- Roasted Red Pepper Guacamole by Clarks Condensed
- Parmesan and Garlic Boneless Chicken Wings by From Gate to Plate
- Greek Salad Skewers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cajun Bacon Nuts by Life Off the Clock
- Jalapeno Poppers by Organized Island
- Mini Loaded Twice Baked Potato by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Chicken & Cheese Taquitos by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Very Veggie Puff Pastry Pizza Bitesby Farm Fresh Feasts
- BBQ Chicken Nachosby Lemons for Lulu
- Apricot Blue Cheese Bitesby Food Lust People Love
- Low-Carb Kickin’ Bacon Avocado Deviled Eggsby Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Sweet Onion Galette by Call Me PMc
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders by The NY Melrose Family
- Sticky Asian Chicken Wings by Flavor Mosaic
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders by Home Cooking Memories
Today’s sponsor is PotsandPans.com. Whether you’re shopping for the perfect pot or the perfect price PotsandPans.com is the one stop shop for the savvy chef! PotsandPans.com is supplying #AppetizerWeek with some really special Rachael Ray Tools. Rachael Ray Tools all have one thing in mind: making time in the kitchen fun and efficient. These tools fit the bill with bright hues and innovative designs, today’s prize pack is being offered in Orange. We know it will brighten up any kitchen. You can follow PotsandPans.com on Facebook and on Twitter.
Giveaway is open to U.S. Residents only. Must be 18 years, or older to participate. Please see terms in rafflecopter for full rules and regulations. Sorry to all our Canadian and International readers. xx
List of PotsandPans.com Prizes from Rachael Ray Tools:
Rachael Ray Tools 2-pc Spoonula Set in Orange
Rachael Ray Tools 2-pc Set: Lazy Spoon and Ladle in Orange
Rachael Ray Tools 2-pc Salt and Pepper Grinder Set in Orange
Rachael Ray Tools 3 Tier Stacking Salt Box
Rachael Ray Tools Balloon Whisk in Orange
a Rafflecopter giveaway
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by PotsandPans.com. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Share the love
Get free updates