This recipe is from Candice’s latest cookbook, Cook Yourself Sexy, which really has changed my outlook on cooking and making better choices. Now – don’t let the word “hangover” mislead you. These burritos are not only for when you have a hangover from way too many cocktails (not that I’ve ever had that happen *cough*), but can be the perfect jump start to a busy day. Packed with some great FWB (foods with benefits), this easy to prepare breakfast burrito packs a punch. In today’s “go-go-go” world, we need every edge we can get and grabbing a bagel or a quick breakfast sammie might not be the best choice.
I made a few slight changes to her recipe and also made a bit extra so I can grab and go in the mornings. I roasted the veggies to get a bit of extra umph in the flavor and instead of Gruyere, I grabbed some sharp cheddar to top it off. Add a touch of fresh thyme and *viola* you have a burrito that is fantastic for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
So – let’s get to the recipe shall we?
Grab your ingredients
Is there anything better than roasted asparagus
Adding some spice to the eggs
Time to build – eggs and a bit of asparagus
And some sweet potato
With a slight touch of cheese and
Viola – the perfect breakfast burrito!
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup asparagus, cut on the bias
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 sweet vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon sharp cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the diced sweet potato and asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Tumble them onto a baking sheet lined with a silpat or aluminum foil and roast for about 30 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, over medium - low heat, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the onion until soft and a bit caramelized (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- To the eggs, add the fennel seed, thyme and black pepper and whisk. Add the egg mixture to the pan and cook until light and fluffy.
- Lay out the tortillas.
- To each tortilla, add half of the egg mixture.
- Top the eggs with some of the roasted asparagus and sweet potato and sprinkle with a bit of the grated cheddar cheese.
- Roll into a burrito shape and enjoy!