Welcome to #10DaysofTailgate hosted by Culinary Adventures with Camilla! There are nearly two dozen bloggers with over one hundred recipes to inspire you through an entire tailgating season. From Wings to Chili, From Salads to Sangria with some sweet treats in between, your tailgating recipe needs are covered. #10daysofTailgate kicked off on September 20th and runs through September 30th. A huge thank you goes to our event sponsors who have graciously donated prizes for our readers. There are 14 different prize packages so make sure you enter the rafflecopter HERE. Don’t forget to follow the hashtag on Twitter too.
It’s day 3 of #10DaysofTailgate and I’m bringing one of my favorite slider recipes to the game.
One thing I LOVE about tailgating – the fun recipes I can use my beloved slow cooker for and these Kalua Pork Sliders with Spicy Pineapple Relish will have you making extra Kalua Pork for leftovers the next day. While I don’t have an emu (underground oven) here in Philly, if I want to make Kalua pork, I use my slow cooker to achieve the slow and low method. These sliders, topped with the spicy pineapple relish, are always the first to go at soirees – it’s comfort food with a bit of a kick. I also use my favorite Hawaiian sweet rolls and they compliment the pork so nicely. Plus – pork and pineapple – it’s a marriage made in paradise.
Any time you want to make Kalua pork, I suggest you use take a peek at this method. I love using either some Hawaiian salt or ONO Hawaiian seasoning but if you don’t have either, kosher salt is fine. Add a bit of garlic powder and some liquid smoke and cooked low and slow – this Kalua pork will melt in your mouth. This Spicy Pineapple Relish is good on not only these sliders, but you can use it in a bunch of recipes – can you imagine it on a turkey burger with some buttery avocado on a toasted brioche bun… oh the possibilities. You know I’m all about options.
Ok – let me shush – I know you really came here for these scrumptious sliders…
On to the recipe:
First – let’s make the Kalua Pork – so easy!
All the ingredients are gathered for the Kalua Pork Sliders
Let’s make the spicy pineapple relish
This Spicy Pineapple Relish is perfect on not only the sliders, but tacos, chips – you name it.
Try to not sneak one before the tailgate starts…
But if you do – I won’t tell – promise.
Aly M. Cleary
Delicious kalua pork nestled on sweet hawaiian buns and topped with a spicy pineapple relish - yes please! Added bonus - the slow cooker does most of the work.
30 minPrep Time
10 hrCook Time
10 hr, 30 Total Time
- 3 - 4 pounds of boneless pork roast
- 2 tablespoons of red Hawaiian salt (or kosher salt)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- Slider rolls (I used Hawaiian sweet rolls)
- 1 pineapple, cored and small diced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 a red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced flat leaf parsley or cilantro
- 1 inch of peeled fresh ginger, grated
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Line your slow cooker with sheets of aluminum foil, making sure that the aluminum foil hangs over the edge.
- To prepare your pork, using a paring knife, poke holes in the pork roast on both sides.
- Rub the pork roast with the Hawaiian salt (or Kosher salt if using) and liquid smoke.
- Place in the slow cooker.
- Wrap the pork roast with the aluminum foil – creating a bit of a foil packet so it could steam.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 – 10 hours until the pork shreds easily with a fork.
- In a medium bowl, add the diced pineapple, red onion, jalapeno, grated ginger, parsley (or cilantro) and lime juice.
- Toss to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let chill in the fridge until you are ready to make the sliders.
- Remove the Kalua pork from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Pile the Kalua pork on the slider rolls, top with a bit of the pineapple relish and enjoy!
Carnitas-Stuffed Potatoes with Carrot Karma Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Asian-Inspired Turkey Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates