This easy Pineapple Slaw will be a summertime favorite – sweet pineapple, spicy ginger & coleslaw are tossed in a light yogurt dressing!
This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and trust in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos!
I have a delicious side dish to share with you today that would be perfect for your next cookout – a sweet and tangy Pineapple Slaw.
I have been on a pineapple kick lately, but don’t know what the reasoning is behind it but I have been adding pineapple to a few of my favorite recipes – like my Huli Huli Chicken Burgers, a sweet pineapple relish that I use on Kalua Pork Sliders or Kalua Pork Nachos and in some of my favorite Pineapple Cookies. Pineapple in coleslaw – well, you have to trust me on this one.
Coleslaw, like many summertime salads and sides, is one of those dishes that is often overlooked. I love a great coleslaw packed with flavor but don’t like them dripping in dressing or heavy and gloppy. Tending to follow the rule, add some dressing, and reserve some if needed for later – you can always add more, just not subtract. I also am not a fan of heavy mayo dressed salads or overly sweet salads. A great balanced dressing is key.
In lieu of my favorite Lightened Up Coleslaw, I went on a more tropical spin. Inspired by this recipe, I wanted to make a scrumptious pineapple coleslaw that is packed with flavor but lighter on the waistline. I use Greek yogurt in a lot of my recipes instead mayonnaise and find that it has a tangy taste but not as heavy. Adding a bit of pineapple juice and freshly grated ginger brings the flavors of the islands to the dressing and, tossed with fresh coleslaw mix and diced sweet pineapple, what’s not to love, right? The only thing you will need is patience because it needs a good 30 minutes or more of chill time for the flavors to come together in perfect harmony. A few ingredients, a bit of mixing and a little patience and you have the perfect side for your next cookout.
When looking for a different take on the typical coleslaw, make this Pineapple Slaw – just don’t expect to have any leftovers.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Key recipe ingredient – lots of fresh grated ginger
Chopping up the sweet pineapple
Adding a bit of heat to the tangy yogurt dressing
Now this, my friends, is the perfect Pineapple Slaw
Aly M. Cleary
This easy Pineapple Slaw will be a summertime favorite – sweet pineapple, spicy ginger & crisp cabbage are tossed in a sweet light yogurt dressing!
55 minPrep Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks, drained and diced (reserve the pineapple juice)
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions, diced, reserving some for garnish.
- 2/3 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 1 1/2″ piece of fresh ginger, grated – about 2 teaspoons or so
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together the diced pineapple, coleslaw mix and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, grated fresh ginger, apple cider vinegar, honey, pineapple juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. If the dressing still seems too thick, add another tablespoon of the reserved pineapple juice.
- Add some of the dressing to the coleslaw mix and toss together. Add more dressing as needed.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavors blend.