Bake up a batch of these Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies – your favorite homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe with a rum-laced twist!
Disclosure: This recipe originally appeared on Cooking In Stilettos in August of 2009. The recipe has been updated with new photos and any recipe changes that I have incorporated over the years. This post may contain affiliate links to products I adore and use in my kitchen. Thank you for supporting Cooking In Stilettos.
There’s a story behind the creation of these homemade Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies like with any cocktail-esque creation or any of my boozy bite recipes.
In college, I fell in love with all things Captain Morgan thanks to a dear friend who constantly had a Captain & Coke in hand. Confession – there was one time during a Criminal Justice class where I went to take a sip of his coke only to find it was a bit “spirited” with a touch of Captain – talk about a bit of a surprise. Since my college days, when I want a cocktail with a bit of comfort, I will often pour a Captain & Coke.
This dear friend was an MP in the National Guard. When he and his unit deployed to Croatia and Bosnia, I was tasked with sending care packages from our crew. One thing he always mentioned was the lack of Captain Morgan on base. However, with rules, I couldn’t just ship him some bottles of his favorite rum. So – after a bit of thought, these homemade Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies were born.
When he was shipped to Iraq shortly after I moved to Orlando, again he mentioned the lack of Captain Morgan during a call to say “hi.” No worries, a stronger version of Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies was shipped to his unit which then led to friends in town who also wanted their own batches. Since then, I often make a few batches during the holidays for friends and family.
Now – as these are laced pretty liberally with spiced rum, I do caution my friends and make a rum-free version for the kiddos and those that don’t want that smoky rum flavor in their cookie. In true Philly style, I ask “Morgan Cookies Wit or Without” and 95% of the time it’s rum with. The recipe is simple – it’s a standard homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe with a boozy kick. The key is the basting before you get into the oven and I have from time to time brushed the super warm cookies freshly out of the oven with a bit more spiced rum for that additional rum shot.
Give these homemade Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies a shot this holiday season. However, I’m not responsible should you find yourself heading to Costco to get “bargain” size bottles of Captain Morgan for future cookie shenanigans.
On to the recipe:
Gather your ingredients
Ready to mix
Let’s add some Captain Morgan Spiced Rum to the cookie dough
Time to brush with a bit more rum
Look at these gorgeous freshly baked cookies out of the oven
Shall I get you a Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Captain Morgan Chocolate Chip Cookies take the classic chocolate chip cookie and turns it up a boozy notch with an infusion of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Make a batch or two of these cookies for your holiday cookie plates.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 46 minutes
- Yield: 36 cookies (3 dozen)
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of cane or granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum plus an extra tablespoon or two for “basting”
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups of bittersweet chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer, beat together the softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until it is just combined.
- Remove from the stand mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a large tablespoon, place the cookie dough in small scoops on baking sheets.
- Brush (or baste) the tops of the cookies with the remaining Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the cookies are golden brown and delicious. Should you wish to brush them with a bit more spiced rum, who am I to stop you.
- Cool on the baking sheets for about 2 -5 minutes and then remove the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Note: Prep time includes cooling time.
My favorite finds for this recipe:
Other Delicious Recipes
Share the love
Get free updates