Remember that pulled pork with caramelized onions that I wrote about a bit ago? Well, this is the “Round II” version that goes with – the Pulled Pork Torta. There is something so inspiring about making something from leftovers that you don’t always (and great for the wallet). Most of the ingredients I already had in the fridge and, since I forgot to get the chorizo, I decided to leave it out and it still was fabulous. If you decide to add Chorizo, feel free – it will be a welcome addition.
In other news – did anyone watch The Grammys? I decided to take a chance and not watch for the very first year since I became a member of the Recording Academy and it was a difficult choice. What were your fave performances/looks/etc. Was the stiletto game as good as it normally was?
- 3 cups finely shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a deep-dish pie pan or other 9-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat leftover pork and sauce just until warm.
- Combine with the tomatoes in a bowl. Mix well.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom.
- Top with 1 tortilla.
- Spoon one-third of remaining mixture over the tortilla.
- Repeat twice, topping with the fourth tortilla. Drizzle the reserved tomato juice over the top (be sparing with that!) and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the torta is bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with scallions and cilantro
Adapted from Eating Well Magazine
Gather Your Ingredients
I’m clearly addicted to fire roasted tomatoes – so much flavor for so little effort!
Mixing the pork
Time to layer
and layer (you get the picture)
Topping with the cheese
Share the love
Get free updates