Have leftover pulled pork – make this delicious Pulled Pork Torta – just a few ingredients and you have dinner on the table in no time!
Disclosure: This recipe originally appeared on Cooking In Stilettos in February of 2011. The recipe has been updated with new photos and any recipe changes that I have incorporated over the years.
Remember that pulled pork with caramelized onions that I wrote about a bit ago? Well, this is the “Round II” version that goes with – a Pulled Pork Torta that is packed with flavor!
Whenever I make pulled pork, I always joke that there are leftovers for days and when I’m looking for something creative to incorporate them in, sometimes I draw a blank. There is something so inspiring about making something from leftovers that you don’t always (and great for the wallet). Thankfully, this recipe makes use of ingredients most of us already have on hand and takes almost no time to make.
While the original recipe called for chorizo, I decided to leave it out and it still was fabulous. If you decide to add chorizo, feel free – it will be a welcome addition. Hot from the oven, the pulled pork and fire roasted tomatoes are bubbling and molten in between the flour tortillas and add to that lots of gooey Monterey Jack cheese, this is one of those tried and true recipes that looks way more difficult than it really is.
This Pulled Pork Torta will be a family favorite. Serve with an easy side salad and you have a winning dinner that will have everyone singing your praises!
On to the recipe:
Gather Your Ingredients
I adore fire roasted tomatoes – so much flavor for so little effort!
Mixing the pork
Ready for the Oven
Ready for Dinner
Shall I cut you a slice?
Adapted from Eating Well
Have leftover pulled pork - make this delicious Pulled Pork Torta. Savory pulled pork is layered with fire roasted tomatoes, gooey Monterey Jack Cheese and flour tortillas for a winning dinner!
20 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 cups of shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce
- 1 14-ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, for garnish
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray either a deep dish pie pan or 9 inch round baking dish with a bit of cooking spray.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the leftover pulled pork and sauce until it is warmed through.
- In a large bowl, combined the warmed pulled pork and drained fire roasted tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
- In the bottom of the prepared pan, spread about a 1/2 cup of the pork mixture.
- Top with 1 tortilla.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom.
- Top with one of the flour tortillas.
- Add about a third of the remaining pork mixture and top with couple tablespoons of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Layer another tortilla over the pork mixture and repeat again until you are left with one tortilla.
- Brush the reserved fire roasted tomato juice over the top of the tortilla.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with the remaining cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the torta is cooked through - about another 20 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and garnish with the sliced scallions and cilantro or parsley.