For your next soiree, whip up this delicious Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta – perfect for chips or your favorite veggies!
I don’t know about you but when I hear caramelized onions, my ears perk up. Whether it’s in a dip, on a burger , or in a recipe like my Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions or French Onion Bites, there’s something about the flavor it imparts – like the perfect savory meets sweet flavor profile.
After having a savory whipped ricotta with my Bacon Thyme Scones last month, I was smitten and knew I had to try it with caramelized onions. Can I say while I love my light Caramelized Onion Dip, this Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta will be taking its place for entertaining this holiday season. It’s got a herby bite from the thyme and this luscious taste from the whipped ricotta. I used part skim ricotta to make it lighter and my friends and family loved this in place of the standard onion dip.
There are no packets – everything is made from scratch and couldn’t be easier. It takes a little while to caramelize the onions but the flavor is well worth it – so much better than anything that is dehydrated. You can change the spices as you see fit and add a bit of cayenne if you like it spicy, a bit more thyme and parsley if you love that fresh herby flavor or, my favorite, some smoked paprika for that smoky flavor.
I served these with some of my new favorite chips as well as some crisp veggies and this savory whipped ricotta was gone in a flash. This Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta will be your new favorite onion dip – whether it’s for the holidays, tailgating or just because. Just don’t tell everyone how easy it is to make – let them marvel in your culinary brilliance.
Aly M. Cleary
This Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta is packed with flavor from sweet and savory caramelized onions and rich ricotta cheese and couldn't be easier to make. This will be your new favorite onion dip!
7 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
37 minTotal Time
- For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- For the Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta
- 1 15-ounce container of part skim ricotta
- 2 cups of caramelized onions
- 3/4 teaspoon of fresh thyme, lightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of flat leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- To Make The Caramelized Onions:
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the butter and saute until they start to brown.
- Add the fresh thyme and keep sauteeing until the onions turn a deep burnished gold - about 25 minutes or so.
- Remove from the heat to a bowl and let cool.
- To make the Caramelized Onion Whipped Ricotta:
- To a large bowl, add the ricotta, caramelized onions, thyme, parsley, lemon juice and milk.
- Using an electric hand-held mixer, whip the ricotta mixture until it is light and fluffy. If you find it is still too thick, add a tablespoon of milk until you get the consistency that you like.
- Garnish with a bit of finely minced parsley and serve with your favorite chips or veggies.